Income Support

There are a number of government support schemes to help the Cost of Living some new and some existing that you may not be aware of. 

National Insurance 

The government has increased the threshold at which you start paying NI. This means that you can now earn £12,570 a year completely tax-free.

That means that from July anyone earning £36,600 or less (around 70% of UK workers) will pay less NI with a typical saving of £330 a year.

Use the government's tool to see how the changes affect you

National Minimum and National Living Wages

In April both the National Living and National Minimum Wage rates increased. If you are on either of these pay methods do check your pay slip to make sure you've received the uplift. If you don't think you are do speak with your employer.

Claim Universal Credit

If you’re on low income, out of work or cannot work you may be eligible for Universal Credit. You can check if you’re eligible for Universal Credit here.

Earlier this year the government also increased the UC taper meaning claimants keep more of the money they earn. Do check you are receiving this uplift and if you don't think you are you should contact the DWP.

Claim Marriage Allowance

Marriage Allowance allows you to transfer 10% (up to £1,260) of your personal tax allowance to your husband, wife or civil partner if you earn less than the personal tax allowance.

Support for Carers

If you care for somebody at least 35 hours a week and they get certain benefits (eg PIP, Disability Living Allowance, etc) you could get up to £69.70 a week.

You don't have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for.

You can check if you’re eligible for the Carer’s Allowance here

Pension Credit

You could get extra money to help with your living costs if you’re over State Pension age and on a low income: even if you have savings or own your own home.

You can check if you’re eligible for Pension Credit here

Help to Save

If you're entitled to Working Tax Credit or Universal Credit you can get a 50p bonus for every £1 you save over 4 years through the Help to Save scheme.

Find out how to get help saving here.

Child Trust Funds

Children born between 1st September 2002 and 2nd January 2011 may have a Child Trust Fund which is a long-term tax-free savings account.

If you're not sure whether you have an account or who your provider may be then do take a look at this support guide.

Get help if you cannot pay your tax bill

If you find you're struggling to pay your tax bill then do contact HMRC as soon as possible.

HMRC can set up a scheme to help you repay your tax, eg through instalments depending on your individual circumstances and what you can afford.

You may also be entitled to a Council Tax reduction if you are e.g a single person living alone.

You can get more details on this here.