Financial support during national restrictions
Government guidance on financial support
- financial support packages for businesses
- financial support for closed businesses as a result of tiering restrictions
- claim for employee wages through Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme
- check if you can claim a grant through the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme
- financial support if you’re off work because of coronavirus
If you haven’t been furloughed, don’t qualify for the Self Employed Support Scheme or can’t get a job then the government welfare platform of Universal Credit is the best way forward.
But some people may not be eligible (depending on your level of savings) and some may be getting eg child tax credits, which go when you transfer onto UC.
So my advice is to use the Benefits Calculator before you apply to check that you will be better off by going onto UC.
Here’s the calculator link: https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators
Mortgage payment holidays will have been extended. Borrowers who have been impacted by coronavirus and have not yet had a mortgage payment holiday will be entitled to a six month holiday, and those that have already started a mortgage payment holiday will be able to top up to six months without this being recorded on their credit file.
Support for financial concerns
If you are concerned about finances or would like support identifying schemes that might be able to support you can contact:
Citizens' Advice Bureau